I couldn’t remember how old I was turning this year. First time in my life that happened. I had to count the years from 1987 to 2022. Three. Four. Five. Thirty five. Another milestone. Welcome to the decline.
Here’s a random list of thirty-five “life” thoughts:
1. 99% of things don’t matter as much as you think they do.
2. A good woman can change your life. So can a bad one.
3. Listen more than you speak.
4. Don’t assume the worst in people. Give them a chance, but don’t be fooled more than once.
5. If you want to learn more about life, read books.
6. If something makes you feel uncomfortable, ask yourself why.
7. A good playlist can get you through anything.
8. Taking care of your body and mind are essential. There are zero excuses.
9. You can’t become old and wise, if you aren’t wild and stupid.
10. Learn to read and hear things you disagree with… without an emotional reaction.
11. Challenge everything you read, hear, or think. Especially the things you agree with. You’re not always right.
12. There are awful humans, but they aren’t as common as you’d think.
13. A day at the beach with someone you love is a cheap slice of heaven.
14. Don’t talk yourself out of the things you know you need to do.
15. Believe in yourself. Out of all the sperm, you were the one to make it. You started your life as a winner.
16. Getting drunk with someone is the best way to get to know them.
17. Even at thirty-five, I’ll still drink y’all under the table. I’ll just be hungover for a week.
18. For the men going to the bars for the first time, go for the women who don’t need chasers for shots. Trust me.
19. You’ll find a way to make time for the things you really want.
20. Listen to her if you care about her.
21. But really listen to her.
22. Most importantly, don’t take her for granted.
23. A day in the sun can help cure the blues.
24. Never buy a woman a drink until she knows more than your name.
25. Find a constructive way to channel your anger, stress, and pain. Exercise or creativity are best.
26. Even Jesus Christ meditated. You should, too.
27. Do one kindness for a stranger a day. Something as simple as holding the door open. Don’t blast it all over social media. Be humble.
28. Everyone is struggling with something. Usually more. Try to always give others compassion.
29. Don’t be afraid to be yourself. There’s no one like you. Be whoever the fuck you want. Just don’t be an asshole.
30. The things you hate in others show where you’re flawed. The world is a mirror.
31. Change is hard.
32. Be good to the people who are good to you.
33. Understand you’re gonna die, so fuck it.
34. You’re more capable than you realize.
35. You deserve love and happiness. We all do.